I have this very optimistic attitude when buying bananas. I always go for a big bunch without the bruises. Then then they sit in my fruit bowl waiting patiently to be peeled and enjoyed. Well, I usually can't keep up with their rapidly aging lifespan. Solution, turn it into BANANA BREAD (muffins.) Duh.
I make this A LOT. Even though it has bananas it it, this treat is probably not very healthy :( I went hunting for a healthy version and found a decent one which i tweaked. This actually is guilt free (by this I mean a slice has about the same calories as a banana itself = best of both worlds)
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 3-4 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup nonfat milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Here are some optional additions: chocolate chips, blueberries, or walnuts (and yes, I have tried all 3!)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and spray that bread pan with non-stick cooking spray (ohhh pam!)
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy (arm workout?) Beat in bananas, applesauce, milk, oil and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Stir flour mixture into banana mixture, mixing just until blended. Insert additions here! Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until golden and a toothpick/knife inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean, about 1 hour (great hour to do your laundry!) Turn bread out onto a wire rack (don't freak if you don't have one) and let cool!
-You can make muffins (above) instead of bread. Just don't forget that the baking time will be shorter, about 20 minutes.