For my birthday last month, I received the Moosewood New Classics Cookbook as a gift from my friend Laura! It's very Bizerkley, meaning everything is vegan, organic, healthy...so right up my ally. Since finals are donezo, I can now play and experiment in my kitchen (what else do I got to do in b/t practices?) These scones seemed very appealing for breakfast in a sweet but healthy way and a perfect complement with my daily cup of coffee. Ohhh did I mention that I added some strawberry jam? ta die 4.
Supplies: A big bowl, a small bowl, baking sheet, spatula, baking brush
Ingredients: 1 1/4 c plus 2 Tbsp sugar, 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, 2 c whole wheat pastry flour, 1 Tbsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 c dried cherries, 2 large eggs, 1/3 c veggie oil, 1/3 c milk
1. Preheat oven to 400. Oil a baking sheet or clay baking brick.
2. Combine 2 TBSPs of the sugar and the cinnamon in a cup and set aside. Sift the remaining sugar, the flour, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl. If any of the bran remains in your sifter be sure to add it to the flour mixture. Add the dried cherries and stir well.
3. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs. Reserve 1 TBSP of the beaten eggs for later. Beat the oil and milk into the remaining eggs. Make a well in the dry ingredients, pour in the egg mixture, and stir until just combine: the dough with be soft. Turn it onto a floured surface and pat it into a circle about 8 inches across and 1/2 inch thick.
4. Cut the circle into eight pie-shaped wedges. With a spatula, lift each wedge and arrange them on the prepared baking sheet or brick so that they are not touching. Push any errant cherries back into line. Brush tops of the scones with the reserved egg and sprinkle generously with the cinnamon sugar.
5. Bake for about 15 minutes, until golden brown and firm to the touch.